Tuesday, July 31, 2007

5th day of The Revue

Ironic! That is all I have to say about this day at the Revue. After a day off (I have a post coming about that) from the Revue I was back with a new plan I took the 400 mm with me. I had wanted to shoot with the 400 but Lennie had brought the lens to me from the paper and I was glad he did that and I did not want to make him bring the 400 but with the day off I picked it up myself. My plan for the 400 was to go into the stands on the side and get above the play and shoot down on it. Well it was tough the play was too fast to fallow, and the side I was on was not getting much action. So I switch sides and then I could not see the play develop because the camera blocked it well I went back to the first side and just continued to try and get something. Then the Spurs were losing so bad that the Mav’s were not playing strong defense. With less than a minute Keith Langford got off a huge dunk. The kind I was waiting for.
Now why is this Ironic? This is now my favorite picture I have taken. There are a lot of pictures I have taken that I like but a few stick out above the rest. I don’t know how many times I’ve said this but again basketball is not my favorite sport. I don’t know why for sure but I’m just not much of a fan. The shot that always stood out before this one was also a basketball shot. I took this in high school. The camera was a film camera I had to advance myself and a lens I had to focus myself. I entered it in an art contest at Salt Lake Community College (after some encouragement from Tom Szalay the photo teacher) and got an award of merit. Later the yearbook was looking for some more photos and so it was the center picture of the 2004 West High yearbook. Even though I have tones more pictures that are probably better I liked this because of the praise it got and the camera I used it get it. It always reminds me that I don’t have to rely on auto focus or a motor drive I just have to see things coming.


Why would I be so good at shooting a sport I don’t really care for? It’s Ironic.

1 comment:

Mike Terry said...

The black and white shot is my favorite, I like the grain. Makes me think it is an older photo of some NBA star back in his formulative years or something....you shooting at the Chronicle again this semester?