Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cougar Toss

Today when I went into the papers office I had not planed on doing any work I was just going to check in and then go get to work on my final paper for one of my classes. when I got there Lisa and Kim said I should go get some shots. I did not have my camera with me and I did not want to take one from the office so I was not going to go but when Kim offered her camera I put off the paper again and thought what the hell. I was kinda lazy this assignment I just used the aperture value Kim left her camera on instead of the manual mode I always use.

The assignment was to get a shot of the event the Mechanical Engineering department was putting on for Jr high kids. The kids built a catapult and tossed cougars across the Union Ballroom. At first I was looking for a wide shot of the Cougars flying though the air but that looked bad. I ditched that fast. The next shot I went for was a shot of the guy measuring how far the cougar went he was a U student so it had that student angle. That worked but I was not feeling great about it. At this point they ended the long toss and started the accuracy toss they kids had some practice time to prepare this time was good shooting. The kids from Kearns Jr high were doing their final practice shot when I got a shot of a Kid looking to the sky before releasing their cougar it was a shot I felt good about.
After the practice was over I was watching the tossed and the kid were giving great reactions of both excitement and disappointment but I was having a hard time getting a good spot to get a good reaction shot on the last shot I was set up on the side next to some parents I was right next to the catapults hoping one kid would look back at their team giving me a good celebration and the Elk Ridge team gave me the shot I wanted. It was over I had the shots I needed. When I got back to the office and started to edit the pictures it saddened me to find out the celebration shot was a little soft but I was happy to find out another shot I had not given any credit to was actually good. At first I did not like it because the other girls got in the way but on the computer it looked cool to have the hug framed by the other students so that made things even. In the end I had a lot of fun shooting this it is good Kim and Lisa talked me into it.

No comments: